There is a point every San Antonio winter when you can’t uncover the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and decrease drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your San Antonio home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and breaks in strange areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with functional means and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in San Antonio to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in San Antonio a call at (210) 622-8673 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.